Patient Resources

If your child receives special education services, your child must have what is known as an Individualized Education Program (IEP). An IEP is an important legal document that spells out your child's learning needs, the services the school will provide and how progress will be measured.

Several people, including parents, teachers, and the school counselor are involved in creating the document. The entire process can be a great way to sort out your child's strengths and weaknesses to figure out ways to help them succeed in school.

Individualized Education Program (IEP)

An IEP is a federally mandated policy covered under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act. It would be based on finding a learning disability such as specific disabilities in math, reading or speech as well as global disabilities for students with intellectual disabilities or autism.

An individualized plan is developed for the student in order to progress in their education process. The plans are reviewed on a regular basis and changes are made or plans can be terminated if the student no longer requires services.

504 Plan

A 504 plan is also a federally mandated program as a part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. It is for a student that does not have a learning disability but has another health impairment that impacts his/her education. Children with ADHD often benefit from a 504 plan to provide special accommodations such as extra time to turn in homework, a separate room to take tests or other help.

For more information visit: The Difference Between IEPs and 504 Plans

There continues to be limited research in child psychiatry regarding medication. You can imagine that it would be difficult for parents to have their children involved in medication research, especially younger children. It takes several years and a large amount of research for a medication to become FDA approved with details about the correct dosage or age restrictions. Therefore, there are some medications that are commonly used in child psychiatry that are not FDA approved. The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP), which I am a member of, has developed a series of practice guidelines called Practice Parameters that provide child psychiatrists with accepted treatment protocols, including medications, dosages and age guidelines. In the following tables I have included these guidelines regarding these matters for medications used in child psychiatry.

Below is a list of some medications used for treatment. You can also visit to use as another great resource.

Accepted Insurance

Contact Info

Dr. Thomas Reichenbacher
Phone: (520) 639-8746
Fax: (520) 900-7256
6650 N. Oracle Rd STE 110
Tucson, AZ 85704

Office Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: By appointment